This guide will show you how to install or Flash Lineage OS ROM on your Android device using custom recovery like twrp or cwm. Before starting to make sure to complete the task.
Before Starting Flash Lineage OS ROM:
Take care of pursuing tasks before you proceed with flashing custom ROM:
Task 1: Install USB drivers for your device on your PC.
Task 2: Be sure to backup your data including Contacts, SMS / MMS, APN & MMS Settings as well as photos and videos saved on your device’s internal or external storage.
Task 3: Make sure that your device is well charged. Ideally, the battery percentage should be about 60-80%.
Task 4: USB Debugging should be allowed on your device.
Important: Most of the custom ROM will not have Google Apps in them. So, you have to download and install Google Apps manually.
Done with initial precautionary steps? So, here’s the guide:
TWRP recovery lets you do some cool stuff, but the whole point of having a custom recovery is to be ready to flash unsigned .zip files. These .zip files could be anything from a custom kernel, boot, recovery, MODs or full custom ROMs.
Let’s see how to Flash Lineage OS ROM on any Android device using TWRP recovery.
How to Install a Custom ROM using TWRP Recovery
- Download and transfer the Lineage os ROM and Gapps for lineage os you wish to flash to your Device storage.
- Boot Device into TWRP recovery.
- Choose “Wipe” from TWRP main menu and do a “Swipe to Factory Reset” on the bottom of the screen.
└ Note: This will factory reset your Device. If your custom ROM doesn’t need a factory reset, then just skip this step.
4. Go back to TWRP main menu, tap on “Install” and select the Lineage os ROM .zip file and gapps for lineage os that you transferred to your device in Step 1.
5. After selecting the .zip file, do “Swipe to Confirm Flash” on the bottom of the screen to begin the custom ROM installation process. It may take some time.
6. Once your ROM is successfully flashed, you’ll see “Wipe cache/Dalvik” option, select it and then do “Swipe to necessary” on the bottom of a screen.
7. Once cache & Dalvik wipe finishes, Tap the “Back” button on-screen and then choose “Reboot System” button.
#How To Enable Root In Lineage OS Using Super SU
Second methods of installing lineage os ROM is via CWM recovery. If you have CWM recovery, then you can follow below step to install it.
How to Install Custom ROM in CWM Recovery
ClockworkMod Recovery can be used to flash Lineage os ROM or any other custom ROM on Android devices. There’s an “install zip from sd card” option that will let you install a ROM zip file on your device. Being the most popular custom recovery for Android, maximum users prefer it above other solutions. Also, it’s relatively easy to use CWM recovery to install CM or any other ROM. Here is the step by step guide:
Install Custom ROM using ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery
This guide can be used to install custom ROM on your Android device. Not to mention that your device should be rooted and should have CWM Recovery installed. Also, please download the custom ROM zip file that you will be installing. Some of the popular ROMs are:
Lineage os ROM, Modaco, AOKP, Slim ROM, MIUI. There are several other ROMs for different Android devices. You can select the one that suits your needs the best.
How to Install Lineage ROM using CWM Recovery
Step 1: Download the ROM zip file and copy it to the root of the SD card of your device. Also copy the GApps zip file, if you want to install Google Apps too.
Step 2: Detach your device from the PC and boot it into CWM recovery mode:
- Switch off the Device
- Press & hold Volume buttons + Power button to boot into bootloader mode (Note: button sequence may change depending on your device)
- Now choose “Recovery” option using Power button to boot into CWM recovery mode
You are now in CWM recovery more. Manage volume keys to navigate up & down and use Power button to choose an option.
Step 3 (Optional but necessary): Take an NANDROID backup of your ROM:
- From Recovery screen, select “Backup and Restore.”
- Now choose “Backup” to begin the nandroid backup process.
After the backup is done, navigate back to main recovery screen.
Step 4: Now select “wipe data/factory reset” option. When it asks for confirmation, select “Yes” to confirm data wipe process. Then navigate back to the main recovery.
Step 5: Now you will install the ROM zip file that you placed on SD card of your smartphone Device in step 1. Follow these steps:
- Choose option “install zip from sd card.”
- Then choose “choose zip from sd card.”
- Now select the zip file that you want to install (the file that you copied onto the SD card)
- When it asks for confirmation, select “Yes” to start installation
The custom ROM installation will now begin. Wait for it till its complete.
Note: If you copied any other zip file beside the ROM file (like GApps zip), repeat the earlier steps to install that zip file.
Step 6: After installation is complete, navigate back to main recovery screen and choose “reboot system now” option to reboot your Device.
Your Smartphone Device will now reboot. Please note that first boot may take some time, so be patient and do not interrupt the boot process.
When it boots up, your Smartphone will have custom ROM installed. Same steps can be accompanied to install any zip file like Google Apps on your Smartphone.