OxygenOS 3 Beta for OnePlus 3 and Marshmallow for OnePlus X
A great chunk of the questions raised while the OnePlus AMA on Reddit a while ago concern to software updates, and most of them were right points. After all, OnePlus guarantee faster updates when they mix HydrogenOS (their ROM for the Chinese market) with OxygenOS (their ROM for the rest of the world), so naturally users need to know if the decision was posture
OnePlus X Update any fruits that they could taste.
Shortly after the AMA ended, OnePlus declare that stable builds of Android 6.0 Marshmallow in the form of OxygenOS 3 Beta have start incrementally rolling out to the OnePlus X. This stable build is a result of feedback integrates after the community beta makes of Android 6.0 for the device, and the OTA can be received by all users on OxygenOS 2.2.3, 3.1.0 and 3.1.1 without wanting to flash back to earlier versions.
Of course, Android 6.0 Marshmallow is not the only upgrade or addition this update begins.
Highlights of OxygenOS 3 Beta include:
- Launcher upgrades
- New icon sets
- Google search bar customization
- New design of wallpaper picker
- Shelf UX improvements
- Long press boards to rearrange or eliminate
- General system performance improvement
- Settings changes
- New (native Android) app permissions
- Alert Slider settings including more customization options
- OnePlus Music Player
- OnePlus Gallery
- Executed October Android security patches
- Officer bug fixes
While it took an extremely long time for Marshmallow to finally arrive on the device in a stable format, it is great to see that the October Android security patch has already incorporated within this update. The OnePlus X is unlikely to receive Android 7 Nougat. Thanks to Qualcomm dropping support for the MSM8974 on 7.0, so we hope OnePlus does keep include more features and security updates as OxygenOS updates for this device.
OnePlus 3 Update
The OnePlus 3 also receive another update, but before readers get their hopes up, this is not Nougat. This new update is for another Marshmallow-based community beta for the device, with OxygenOS version 3.5.3, incorporating various improvements and optimizations.
Some important changes are:
- Use AOSP clock as default clock
- Added capability to uninstall any preinstalled apps, like FileManager, Weather, Recorder, MusicPlayer.
- expanded screenshots, you can now save a large screenshot of a scrollable page to cover numerous contents.
- cellular data firewall, you can control either an app is allowed to use cellular network or WiFi
- “Favorite contact setting” in Priority mode
- Setting menu adjustment in Messages, added new option to vibrate phone while receiving SMS
- Contact UI redesign
- Fixed community build cannot flash back to official build problem
- General bug fixes
Users on previous community build will get the build via OTA. Users on stable builds would require flashing the update via ADB sideloads. OnePlus does warn that there may be the compatibility problem with TWRP, so it is advisable to back up important data beforehand. Another point to note, migration from the community make to stable builds require wiping data and cache, in case you need to go back to a stable release because of the beta nature of these updates. The announcement post also mentions that this build is part of a confined program, and once they have enough feedback from users, they can disable the download section.